Muncy Historical Society hosted the rededication ceremony of the official state historical marker commemorating the site of Fort Muncy on Memorial Day, May 29, 2017, at the marker’s permanent location along Lycoming Mall Drive/State Route 2014 (GPS Coordinates N41°14.216’ by W76°49.762’). The marker was designed under the direction of the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission and was privately funded by the Lycoming Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution and the Tiadaghton Chapter, Sons of the American Revolution.
By the spring of 1778, the Revolution was already three years’ duration in terms of the outbreak of open hostilities following Lexington and Concord. The British had to rely on loyalist troops, Indians and mercenaries to help fight this war. Even so, British forces were not large enough to defeat rebel armies, occupy coastal cities, blockade coast lines, and regain control of the interior. Consequently, British strategy became threefold: 1) destroy frontier granaries supplying Washington’s armies; 2) keep men on the rebel frontier and away from the main rebel army; and 3) utilize provincial forces, like loyalists, and Indian allies to accomplish the first two aims. Continue reading “Fort Muncy Site Rededicated”